Anyone who sits at a desk for the majority of their day as a part of their job, knows how hard it is to stay on track when it comes to healthy eating. I know it full well, when I’m sat in front of that computer for hours on end, all I want to do is eat eat eat. I work hard every day not to buy loads of rubbish from the local Sainsburys, and sometimes I give in sadly, but this tends not to be an issue when I have planned and organised my snacks.
The number one rule to staying healthy and eating good snacks when you’re at work is to be organised. I tend to try and keep my Sunday afternoons free so I can prepare my food in bulk for my lunches, and if I can’t do that, then if I am cooking a meal one evening then I make sure I make more than one portion, so that I can have that for lunch for the next few days. I do the same for my snacks, I make sure I have everything prepared and portioned out ready for the week ahead, tupperware should become your new best friend!
I eat pretty constantly throughout the day when I’m at work, if I feel peckish, I will eat something, and because I have got my snacks sorted, I know that I will be eating healthy, nourishing food, and that I also won’t be eating too much (I have taken a step back from calorie counting/macro counting over the past few months and am slowly going to get back into it again, but regardless it is still important not to over eat, even healthy, good, food).
Some of my go to snacks:
- An apple
- A banana
- Peanut/almond butter (Pip & Nut do 30g sachets, which are perfect for eating at the desk because you can’t over eat it… I have a serious issue with gorging on Pip & Nut almond butter!)
- Carrot sticks (earned me the nickname ‘rabbit’ in my office)
- Brown rice cakes/corn cakes
- A small bar of 90% dark chocolate
- Salted popcorn (if you make your own at home you can come up with some very cool flavours!)
- Protein shake (if I’ve worked out that day I usually have one at about 10am, mixed with unsweetened almond milk)
- Nuts and seeds
These are just a few ideas of what I tend to have but I’m sure there are many more things that you can come up with (and if you do please let me know in a comment, I always love new snack ideas!)