Since I’ve started sharing my new moon ritual ideas and just general love for the moon over on my Instagram account @hannahrosecluley, more and more people have started asking me more questions about my ritual, so I thought I would write out a blog post explaining what I do every new moon.
Before I begin, just to explain, the new moon is the first phase of the lunar (moon) cycle, when the moon is on the same side of the Earth as the sun, and therefore the sunlight shining on the moon’s surface can’t be seen on us down on Earth because it’s on the other side of the moon. We have a new new moon (ha) roughly every 30 days. So with the new moon we can’t actually see it from Earth, but obvs it’s still there. In the Hebrew, Chinese and Hindu calendars, the new moon signifies either the start of their month, or an important date to set new goals or start working on new projects.
Many people believe (and especially throughout history), that, just as the oceans are effected by the moon’s cycles, so are we. Both the moon and sun have a gravitational pull on the Earth, and therefore on humans, animals and plants, there is no scientific studies that prove that the moon truly does affect us, but sometimes you don’t need a study to back up what you already know (like really, people go crazy around a full moon and my sleep is always fucked up, I don’t need a study to tell me whether it’s related or not).
Whether or not there’s a connection, I personally love the moon (it’s so pretty hey!) and I love that I have a firm place every 30 days or so to sit down, check in with myself, meditate and do my new moon ritual and goal setting. Before I explain, I would suggest a few things:
- Get Moonology by Yasmin Boland – goes into so much detail on the moon and it’s my moon encyclopedia!
- Get a note book or journal that you can use purely for your new moon rituals
- Get yourself a nice candle or some palo santo for cleansing the air
- Download the free app ‘The Moon’, it adds all full and new moons into your phone calendar and you can see what star sign the new/full moon will be in
- Dedicate 20-30 mins 2-3 days up until the new moon to do your ritual
- Create a happy, warm, calm and welcoming space for your ritual
My New Moon Ritual
Here’s how I do my new moon ritual:
What you will need:
- Notebook & pen
- Candle/palo santo/incense
- Crystals (optional)
- Quiet space
- My phone for meditation timer (I use one called ‘Meditation’)
What I do:
- Set everything up & light my candle/incense/palo santo
- Pull 3 cards from my ‘The Universe Has Your Back Deck’ for some nice loving inspo
- Write down a list of things I want to achieve in the next month, get real specific and make them realistic. For example if you have an overarching goal of ‘Move to the countryside’ then start to think of the smaller steps you need to take.
- I then take a moment to just sit with those goals, and I manifest them, which means I truly start to believe in my heart that they’re not just ‘going’ to happen, but that it’s already a done deal, and that I don’t even need to worry about it. Yes I may need to work towards them, but I don’t have to feel anxious that they won’t come true, because they will.
- I create my own affirmation for the month that is relevant to my goals. You can find loads of affirmations online if you need inspiration, don’t feel shy about using one someone else wrote.
- Meditate on my goals, so after the manifestation I set them in place with a clear mind, sometimes I hold a relevant crystal in my hands if it feels right
- I ‘ohm’ three times to seal my ritual
Please bear in mind this is my own practice and I have worked out what feels right for me, what feels right for you may be totally different!
Do you have a new moon ritual, if so how do you do yours?